I am an artist specializing is science fiction and astronomically themed paintings. I have been painting for over forty years. I work mostly with acrylic paints on canvas. This blog is the online diary of my work in progress. Some of my completed paintings will be displayed here but the primary intent is to show works in the various stages of their development from inception to completion. I hope you enjoy it.
----David A. Henninger

Sunday, December 15, 2013

X-ray Jet Galaxy

A few years ago astronomers decided that galaxies emitted jets from their poles.  At the time that I learned this I was working on a large painting of a galaxy.  It seemed a little out of balance and the addition of a jet from the galaxy's pole fixed the problem.  Since then it has been determined that black holes reside in the center of all galaxies.  The jets, actually emitted from the black hole, are what we once called quasars and exist in the early life of the galaxy.  Our own galaxy no longer emits such an intense beam.  I'm amazed that my painting still holds some scientific validity.
The large canvas was stretched over a circular frame, rounded on the edges so that it required non additional framing.  I was only able to do a few paintings on this type of canvas before my source dried up.  I've never been able to find these canvases again.

No comments:

Post a Comment